Sometimes the weather window demands ensiling lower dry matter grass or alfalfa. Our expert Gordon is sharing his tips on this:
- Avoid the use of a conditioner if you know you are going to ensile wet grass or alfalfa – the conditioner will increase the amount of effluent produced.
- Increase the chop length to 5cm+ and reduce the degree of compaction of the silage.
- Use of homofermentative inoculant is crucial to overcome enteric and clostridial losses.
- Do not use train wheel compactors on your silage below 28% dry matter.
- If the forage is being baled avoid stacking the bales.
- Be especially careful of silage gases when ensiling low dry matter grass and alfalfa forage as residual nitrate levels are likely to be high.
- Good sealing of the bunker or pile remains critical irrespective of the dry matter of the forage.