Our expert Luis shares his tips on planting and managing corn forage:
- Plant your corn as soon as environment reaches germination temperature.
- The sooner you plant the better, it will allow you to safely harvest at ideal DM and nutritional content.
- Adjust the hybrid cycle to planting date and individual conditions, not the conditions of your neighbor 10 km distance away.
- Adapt planting density to the hybrid cycle and to your particular needs in terms of forage DM requirements and Energy needs;
- Be sure your seed planter is properly adjusted to the seed caliber and that provides a homogeneous planting.
- Adapt chop length to DM content – below 28% DM increase chop length to 5-6 cm, above 28% DM decrease chop length to 2-3 cm, to promote a better compaction